Tuesday, December 28, 2010

What should a Reformed Church be like?

That's a valid question, and in answering it we need to understand what a church is according to the Bible. What is a church according the Scriptures? The church is not just a building, but it is the people of God joined by Christ in saving faith.

Ephesians 1:22-23 tells us, "And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head over all things to the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all."

A key component of the church involves "Fellowship" and the definition of fellowship from Webster's Dictionary is "communion, as between members of the same church." Daniel Webster hit the nail on the head with his definition as the body of Christ should be filled with friendships, caring spirits, and a love for each and every member in addition to an understanding that each person is unique and different, but we are all image bearers of Christ and should all be working towards growing more Christ-like.

1 John 1:7 states, "But if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin."

As shown above, fellowship is an essential part of the church and perhaps it is one of the more important aspects of a church. While the Bible is the 'foundation', I believe the 'walls' are the fellowship and preaching and prayer is the 'roof.'

Psalms 18:2 says, "The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."

Since we know that the LORD is our rock and fortress, is it a fair statement to say the church should also be fortress for its members from the world, a place to take refuge from evil and sin? Shouldn't the church be a shield and protector of its members? I think so. The church and the Lord are connected. The church isn't our salvation, and I wouldn't say it should be someone's rock either as only Christ should be our Rock.
If you believe in a church like this and live in the Huntington, West Virginia area and are interested in learning more about the future church plant in this area, contact: 

Dale Anderson II
reformedbaptist1689@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment